A recent journal article provides some guidance for assessing mandatory retirement measures:
- the specific economic sector;
- the availability of a pension;
- the impact of the mandatory retirement measure on the right to work and earn a livelihood;
- the importance of consent to the measure; and
- the particular age chosen.
See an abstract of Elaine Dewhurst’s article: Proportionality Assessments of Mandatory Retirement Measures: Uncovering Guidance for National Courts in Age Discrimination Cases published in the Industrial Law J (2016) 45(1): 60-88.