It is understood that the two new laws have been signed by the President and will come into operation on 1 October 2016.
- Sectional Titles Schemes Management Act 8 of 2011 (STSM Act)
- Community Schemes Ombud Service Act 9 of 2011 (CSOS Act)
The two new Acts significantly change the law regulating scheme management and bring the Community Schemes Ombud Service (CSOS) into operation to resolve scheme administration disputes.
A community scheme is where the use and responsibility for parts of land and buildings is shared, including:
- sectional titles development schemes;
- share block companies;
- home or property owners associations;
- housing schemes for retired persons; and
- housing co-operatives.
If you are in a community scheme you may apply to the CSOS if you are materially affected by a dispute.